One Lyman St
Westborough, MA 01581
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some typical questions.
Q: I enjoy my independence at home. What are the advantages of moving to The Willows?
A: The Willows allows you all of the independence you currently enjoy, without the hassles of home maintenance. And if you need something … anything … someone is always there for you. In fact, The Willows offers such a variety of services and amenities that many residents feel they’re actually more independent than they were at home. Here are just a few of the advantages you’ll experience as a Willows Resident:
- You’ll be surrounded by your own furnishings in a spacious, private apartment with beautifully landscaped grounds, meticulously maintained buildings, and no worries about mundane home repairs, lawn care, or snow removal.
- You can step outside your door into our completely enclosed, climate-controlled, resort-style community. We have on-site health clinic, unisex salon, day spa, mailboxes, general store, a bank branch, and fine and casual restaurant choices.
- The Willows lifestyle is heart-healthy. We proudly offer delicious meals planned for optimum nutrition, and a Personalized Exercise Program (PEP) custom-designed to help you build strength and stamina.
- A full calendar of social events and excursions, with all the arrangements made for you. For off-campus trips our van provides door-to-door service. You’re always free to participate as much or as little as you choose (part of the beauty of independent living).
- For minor health problems and concerns, you can be assessed by one of the licensed nurses or credentialed physicians in our on-site clinic.
- Our personal care staff is available 24 hours a day.
- Emergency pull-cords in your apartment home alert our in-house response team to send help.
- Our coach is available to take you anywhere in Westborough.
- And let’s get back to the food… you’ll find that The Willows dining experience is a delightful combination of culinary art and warm, personal service that makes every meal a pleasure.
Q: What is the average age of Willows residents? Is there a minimum age requirement?
A: Willows Residents must be age 60 or better, and our population ranges from late sixties to late eighties. Some of our Residents have lived with us for nearly 20 years.
Q: How many men and women live at The Willows? Are there many married couples?
A: The Willows is home to approximately 200 people, with a varied ratio of women to men that's typically around 2.5 to 1. Couples represent about 13% of our residents.
Q: Are there nearby places of worship?
A: Westborough and The Willows are rich in religious diversity. Just across the street is Congregation B’nai Shalom, and right down East Main Street are First Baptist, Unitarian, Evangelical, Congregational, St. Luke’s Catholic, St. Stephen’s Episcopal, First United Methodist, and Good Shepherd Lutheran Churches.
Q: What if I develop a condition that makes personal care difficult to accomplish on my own?
A: We pride ourselves on working closely with our Residents and their families to meet and anticipate increased care needs. Our Residents may request up to one hour of personal care per day in their independent living apartments for assistance with activities such as bathing or dressing. That help is billed à la carte in quarter-hour increments. Need just 15 minutes of assistance? You'll pay only for that.
Q: Can I smoke?
A: No. The Willows has become a smoke-free campus. All Residents, employees and guests are asked to leave the campus to smoke.
Q: What are the fees?
A: There are two fees – one is the 90% Refundable Entrance Deposit. This is a form of estate preservation, and is an important aspect of The Willows retirement living. This deposit is refundable to Residents or their estate upon their leaving, there-occupancy of their unit or 1 years’ time, whichever occurs first.
The second fee is the Monthly Service Fee, which covers:
- One chef-prepared meal per day at The Crossways Internet Café or Cascades fine dining restaurant
- Weekly linens and housekeeping
- Complete apartment maintenance
- Paid utilities, except private phone, upgraded cable and Internet service
- Scheduled courtesy transportation
- 24-hour emergency response system
- Grounds maintenance and snow removal
- Wellness and blood pressure clinics
- Fitness Director
- On-site recreation and Resident Services Coordinator
Q: Am I ready for The Willows?
A: The Willows at Westborough is specifically designed for those 60 and better who are young at heart – and healthy enough to live independently. Those who wait too long won’t be able to take full advantage of all the benefits of living here.
At The Willows, you’ll have fewer responsibilities, making more time for you to pursue your vocation, hobbies, volunteering, traveling or spending quality time with family and friends. We’ll make it easier for you to keep learning, growing and enjoying life through our many services and on-site amenities.
Research has proven that living in a senior living community such as The Willows can help you live a longer, healthier life. The Willows isn't a place to go when you’re “old” — it's the best situation to maintain your vitality and health, and to get even more from life.
Q: Why choose SALMON?
A: The Willows at Worcester and The Willows at Westborough (established in 1987) are operated by SALMON Health and Retirement. For over 60 years, the Salmon family has served the area as a trusted provider of high-quality senior housing and healthcare.
SALMON operates communities in Natick, Northbridge, Northborough and Worcester, too.
Now in their third generation as owners and operators, Salmon family members remain committed to excellence, high quality care, and genuine support and concern for each and every person they serve.
Q: What is the continuum of care?
A: People who move to a community that offers a continuum of care are often interested in creating a plan for their future – one that can cover the unexpected.
The “continuum of care” means all levels of health services are available to you, should you ever need them – assisted living, rehabilitation, skilled nursing and memory support services. That's smart.
At The Willows, you pay for this healthcare only if and when you need it. You’ll have access to both SALMON's Whitney Place Assisted Living Residences and Beaumont Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Center right on our Westborough campus.
In fact, we have enclosed walkways among our buildings. It's comfortable and convenient.
You’ll also have priority access to SALMON’s Whitney Place Assisted Living Residences or Adult Day Health Centers, all other Beaumont locations in Natick, Northborough, Northbridge, Westborough and Worcester, and SALMON VNA and Hospice services, as well as SALMON Private Care Options services..